General & Emergency Assistance
About General Assistance
The primary purpose of Township government is to administer the General Assistance (GA) program. GA is a program that provides vouchers to assist adults with limited resources to achieve self-sufficiency. The Supervisor is charged with overseeing the General Assistance fund where she has sole discretionary control. That being said, the Illinois State Statutes governing GA are extremely rigid with regard to the disbursement of this money. Eligible clients receive a $250.00 monthly “In- Kind” benefit that is applied toward basic living expenses.
The General Assistance Office at the Township can be reached Monday through Friday at 847-872-2811.
Ms. Adriana Ortiz administers the GA program as our
General Assistance Case Manager and is available
five days a week at 847-872-2811.
General Assistance Program
Who Qualifies For General Assistance?
You may qualify if…
• You are a Zion Township Resident
• You are 18 years of age or older
• You do not receive or qualify for cash assistance from
any other governmental agency (i.e. SSI, Veterans Assistance, TANF)
• You have little to no income
• You are actively seeking employment
• You are disabled and pending a social security
• You do not have a class 1 or class X felony for drugs
Additional Eligibility Conditions:
• If you voluntarily left your job without due cause or were terminated
for misconduct, you must wait 30 days after termination to apply.
• If you are not a United States citizen, you must be an alien admitted admitted
under color of law and have resided in this country for five years to be eligible.
What kind of assistance is available?
The maximum financial benefit is $250.00 per adult.
The benefit provided assists in basic living expenses
(rent, utilities, food) and job search needs.
General Assistance Program - If you are interested in applying:
1. Call a Zion Township Case Manager at 847-872-2811 for an intial
2. Pick up a General Assisance Packet when the Case Manager explains
they have made one availble for you at Zion Township.
3. Follow the requirements detailed in your packet. You must apply for all
benefits that are availble to you and have proof of the application.
4. Contact General Assistance Case Manager to schedule your initial General Assistance appointment at 847-872-2811.
Please bring the following documents (that apply to you)
to your initial appointment.
√ Picture Identification
√ Social Security Card/Birth Certificate
√ Proof of Residency
√ Proof you receive or have applied for Food Stamps
√ Verification from ISM
√ If disabled, bring SSI paperwork
√ Denial letter from the VAC
√ Proof of income for past 30 days
√ Unemployment stubs or denial
√ Landlord contact information
√ Application (Completed & Signed)
Once approved, as a General Assistance
client, you will be expected to:
• Provide sufficient proof that you have been actively
• Participate in our Community Work Program and
complete the required amount of monthly hours to
• Maintain an active account with the job search program (ISM)
• Complete in good standing a substance abuse program or other programs upon referral by the GA Case Manager.
• Provide any change in income status, address,
phone number, etc. within 5 days of the change
• Comply with our random drug testing policy