This service is available by appointment only.
NEW UNITED STATES PASSPORT
A valid passport is now required for travel by air, anywhere outside the United States.
To obtain a new United States Passport, please follow these steps:
- Call 847-872-2811 to make an appointment.
- Bring the following documentation:
- A certified copy of Birth Certificate or a Certificate of Naturalization for all applicants, including children. (Most certified birth certificates have a raised seal.) Birth certificate must have the full names of your parent(s). – There is a shortened version available that does not list the parents names and the Passport Agency no longer accepts that version.
- Your expired passport if you have one.
- A valid photo I.D. such as a driver’s license or state I. D.
- One photograph, 2″ by 2″ in size. Photos must be a good recent likeness and must be clear, front view, full face with eyes visible and open. The background must be white or a light color.
- Two checks or money orders. Personal checks are accepted. One check made out to the Department of State and one made out to Zion Township. For example, one application submitted for an adult with no expedited service would require a check for $110.00 made out to the Department of State and a check for $35.00 made out to Zion Township. When multiple family members are applying at the same time, fees for all applications can be combined on the two checks.
Form DS-11 can be picked up at the Zion Township office prior to your appointment or by downloading a copy from travel.state.gov. Do not sign the form. The form can also be filled out completely at the time of appointment.
(Will list all the fees here)
UNITED STATES PASSPORT RENEWAL
To obtain a United States Passport renewal, please follow these steps:
- Verify that the issue date of your last passport was less than 15 years ago and that the applicant was over 16 years old when it was issued.
- Verify that your last passport is available to be submitted and is undamaged.
- Obtain form DS-82 by picking one up at the Township Offices, the Plainfield Post Office or by downloading a copy from travel.state.gov.
- Fill out the entire application where indicated, enclose photos, a check for $110.00 to the Department of State (i.e., one adult) and mail as instructed. Additional documentation may need to be enclosed such as verification of a name change. There is no execution fee when using this form. This form must be mailed directly by the applicant. (See above for additional expedite fees.)
If your departure date is less than two weeks, is will be necessary to apply in person at a Regional Passport Agency such as the one located in Chicago. An appointment is required. See travel.state.gov for more information.
When applying at any location, minors age 16 and older must be present to sign the application. Children under age 16 must be accompanied by both parents. Original documentation submitted will be returned to the applicant from the location issuing the passport.
Department of State
For more information on passports.